We built a new Windows Server 2016 S2D Cluster last week and moved all VMs from Windows 2012 R2 Cluster to new Windows 2016 S2D Cluster and Standalone Windows 2016 Hyper-V Server, everything looks awesome, they got better performance.
But when we tried to use Veeam backup and replication 9.5 with Update 3 to Back and replica VMs, all VMs are happy except two Windows Server 2012 R2 Active Directory Servers, they showed error message “Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Job failed (”). Error code: ‘32768’. Failed to create VM recovery snapshot, VM ID ‘d2936ee7-3444-419e-82d9-01d45e5370f8’.Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Failed to create production checkpoint.)Task has been rescheduled”.
Oh Boy! You have got to be kidding me! I cannot backup my domain controllers!! This appears to be a known issue with Microsoft 2016 clusters affecting DC backups. At this point there is still no update from Microsoft to resolve the issue. I got a solution for this error after did dome research, you can disable Application Aware processing, and use Hyper-V guest Quiescence. It’s very similar to AAIP and will still produce transactional consistent backups. If you don’t know how to do it and please follow the steps.
- Open Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Edit the Backup (or Replication) Job
- Select Storage and click Advanced.
4. Select Hyper-V and click Enable Hyper-V quest quiescence and click OK.
5. Select Guest Processing, unselect Enable application-aware processing and then click Finish.
6. Right click Backup (replication) job and select Retry.
All VMs backup and replication are happy now.
Hope you enjoy this post.